Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ahh! The joys of parenting

It has been a great and interesting year so far in 2012.  Swim lessons for both kids start this Saturday, Logan Nyah and I have resumed going to the public library for baby/story time.  Due to the cold windy weather I have crawled into the back of our Lexus and changed Nyah's diaper multiple times, including locking myself in there, we even made a trip to downtown Denver.  Wait, did I just admit I locked myself in the back of the Lexus while changing a diaper?  Yup that sure happened.  I love child locks, unless I'm the child who can't operate them properly.  

So this little bit of entertainment happened in the Whole Foods parking lot in Superior, CO.  We do our weekly grocery shopping there as a family.  On this occasion, Philly and Logan headed to the store due to the cold wind and not wanting to wait while I changed Nyah's diaper.  You see, for the most part, Philly is in charge of the input and I take care of the output.  She does due her fair share, but I always seem to get more of the big ones.  Yes I actually agreed to the arrangement, I really do love my wife.  Anyway back to the diaper change.  Upon closer inspection, this was not going to be a quick thing.  Let's just say it required a full outfit change.  Now normally with nice weather I would just open the back of the Lexus and change her on the back deck.  Due to the wind I had to do this inside the truck.  No big deal right, I mean the third row seat is not in there at the moment.  Unfortunately we had just finished up at Costco.  So here I am in the back with the wind whipping outside and I decided to pull down the hatch a little bit.  It was great until the wind blew the door the rest of the way closed.  I proceeded to finish the diaper and outfit change and tried to get out the back.  Oops, the latch didn't work.  I forgot I had engaged the child-lock to keep Logan contained on occasion. (more on that another time.)  So I decided to see if I could get someone to help me open the door from the outside by tapping on the glass and mildly yelling help.  Wow was I wrong, that truck is not only soundproof but with the tinted privacy glass people can't really see in.  Long story short I reached over the back seat and popped open a side door.  Another family had just parked next to us and the dad was nice enough to pop open the back for me.  His simple comment is the title for this post.  Kind sir, if you are out there somewhere reading this, Thank you!  Now granted I could have called Philly and had her and Logan come back to the truck and let me out.
  
However this brings up another joy of parenting: grocery shopping with kids.  Depending on the day Logan may or may not behave nicely in the store.  It usually works best to have the whole family go shopping.  This way Philly can run around with Logan and his own little shopping cart grabbing a few things and trying to make sure he is not going to ram into anyone's ankles.  Meanwhile, I have the shopping list and our little Nyah usually in the baby Bjorn, trying to make sure we get everything and avoid a midweek trip.  On Logan's bad days we have to resort to full on bribery.  The good part of shopping at whole foods is at least whatever he picks, it's usually somewhat healthy.

Sometimes it seems that the bad or rough spots of parenting are the best to write about because I figure every parent has been there at some point and I find a great release in throwing them out here to be laughed at by my fellow parents.  But there are plenty of high points as well.  The true joys of parenting come in the simple things, the things that make having kids totally worth it.  Like the fact that Logan is doing so well with his language lately.  He makes me laugh and smile with his little "No thank you daddy" anytime I ask him if he needs to use the potty or if he has pooped and needs a diaper change.  Even when he has pooped he still says it.  We are trying to work on the potty thing, key word here is trying.  He is really sweet with his little sister on occasion and I really look forward to the day they can play together.  Another great thing is the completely random hugs or kisses I get from him.  Or the way my daughter does this little nuzzle thing in the crook of my neck, I melt and feel so proud of being a dad every time.  I'm so in trouble when she is older, she will get away with anything I'm sure.  "I love you mommy and daddy, by the way I wrecked your car"  Haha, I know the day will come as sure as I'm sitting here.

Well, I hope you enjoyed another rambling from my day job.  I hope to write again soon.
Cheers for now,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment