Tuesday, December 20, 2011

6 Kids and a Minivan

Now let me start by saying that my wife and I do not have 6 kids nor do we have a minivan.  A few years back my wife and I started having the discussions about having kids.  The 6 kids and minivan thing came in the form of a nightmare.  I think many guys have a panic attack that ensues when the topic of kids come up, mine happened to come from my overactive imagination.  So the nightmare basically involves having one kid with everything going well and loving the little guy or girl, (remember this was a dream so I don't have to many specifics) then we started talking about a second.  After the second we started talking a third child and this is where it turns from a pleasant dream to a nightmare.  When the third child showed up we had to up-size from the station wagon we owned at the time.  The minivan is the main part of the nightmare, (it's a gold Honda Odyssey, not a bad choice, but it's a minivan). But as the nightmare continues we kept adding kids until we hit six at which point we couldn't fit anymore in the minivan and decided to stop.  I had visions of Vin Diesel from the movie "The Pacifier" wearing a baby on the front and one on the back while trying to chase the other four.  At this point I wake up in a cold sweat and realize I don't actually have a single kid.  What a dream to have more than once right?
So fast forward to present day.  I am very happy to report that my nightmare has not come true and that I am truly lucky to have an awesome son in Logan, and a super cute little daughter in Nyah.  We have two great kids and I am happy to report I have not even driven a minivan.  Now if any moms actually read my blog and own a minivan, I apologize in advance.  I don't have anything against people who drive or own minivans, unless you text while driving (but that is another post topic), I just can't stomach the thought of owning one or driving one on a daily basis.  I will admit that in the search for a "daddy wagon" I did research minivans in an effort to give them a shot.  Oh boy, I think I may have just picked a fight with the minivan fans, my sister included (sorry sis).  At least I found the next post topic.
Cheers for now,
Aaron

4 comments:

  1. I begrudgingly got a minivan, having a family of 7, although we really wanted a Honda Pilot or something similar. Neat gadgets and the sliding door is convenient, but no huevos under the hood. As for the kid thing...you have every reason to be content with two!
    Later,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quinn,
    Thanks for the comment. The Honda Pilot is similar to what we ended up with. I'm not going to say what it is just yet, you'll have to come back and read my minivan vs SUV article. I can only imagine having 5 kids. I'm happy with two at the moment, but then I never thought I would have one so....... who knows.
    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well little Brother, everyone has their opinion on mini vans, and you have every right to have yours. I know we only have 2 children, but in defense of minivans, it has been a life saver in our family. It's my service mobile. In the 6 years I have owned my 2000 Honda Odyssey I have been able to help move our sister 3 times,our parents, and ourselves twice. I remember being able to pull over at a moments notice to potty train my little girl on with the port-a-potty in the back. Wait... I'm having a flash back to the time we went cross country from Jersey to Nebraska in our VW Van and it was you doing the potty training. :) It's my house on wheels. We can change into our snow gear to go sledding in the back (along with 4 sleds), instead of driving with the windows down so we don't cook on the way to our favorite hill. We've thrown sleeping bags in the back for the Drive in. We can ride with our 123lb. horse/dog Duke without the fear of him crushing our kids. With all the room, we've rescued school mates from walking in incliment weather with just a press of a button and plenty of room to spare to just hop in to ride out the storm to and from school. It's been the Limo for my scouts, playdates, and girls' night out. After my Honda Accord, I was sad thinking I'd loose performance levels, but the Green Machine handles and corners like it's on rails, or is that just my fine driving skills.(Hee hee). When Madi's side got hit with both her and King in the car, we barely felt the impact and no one was hurt. My Todd would like to replace it with yet another gas burning, non eco friendly SUV. Like life, all good things must come to an end. It may not be the sleekest ride on the road, but I love my minivan, and I will be sad to see it go when it passes. (tear) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit sis, if VW made a modern version of the old bus we had that was all wheel drive I would consider it. I don't think I would buy one but I would consider it. I love both our 4runner and the Lexus. The 4runner gets decent mileage but it can also go anywhere and we have had it in places a minivan could never go. You know how active we are and we spend a lot of time in the mountains. Who knows, maybe it's just a guy thing but I love how my SUV's are unstoppable in the snow, have a lot of inside room and can tow/haul all our bikes and gear. If you want to explore your SUV options, call me anytime. I think you may be surprised what options are out there.

    ReplyDelete