Wednesday, December 28, 2011

GadgetDad Reviews: 2003 Jamis Eclipse


GadgetDad Reviews: 2003 Jamis Eclipse


What is it & it's use

2003 Jamis Eclipse(52cm), purchased as a frame only.
It's primary use is as a road bike, it's also used to pull Logan in the Chariot. I also do the occasional duathlon.

Highlights

  • Pros:
  • Steel is real!!
  • Geometry
  • Color
  • Comfortable yet quick
  • Cons:
  • It wasn't free?
  • Bottom Line:
  • KEEP IT!

Why do you need it?

I live in Colorado, we have beautiful scenery, lots of bike paths, and plenty of famous road rides. Not to mention ride the rockies, the vail bike path, or the Palisade wine festival and tour. A good road bike is essential for an active Coloradan.

Basic Overview

If you have read my mountain bike review then you already know that I like steel. This bike however throws in a twist, carbon seatstays and chainstays. I know I mentioned I would never ride carbon offroad, but on the road is a completely different story. The steel still gives you a great ride, but the carbon stays accomplish a few things. The nice qualities of steel are enhanced since the carbon increases lateral stiffness and increases the vertical compliance. This alloys you to sprint when you feel like it and avoid a numb rear end by the end of the ride. Nuff said.

Pros & Cons

    Pros:
  • This frame is strong, relatively light, good looking (I know it's a matter of taste) but the red and white combo is just very appealing
  • The ride is very smooth yet responsive
    Cons:
  • I actually don't have any, and that's surprising considering how picky I am

Suggested Modifications

None

Price

Okay so some people may get upset at this one but, I bought this on employee purchase when I was working at a shop, so I can't actually list it. Sorry, I promise the bikes are the only reviews where that is the case.

Keep it or Toss it

KEEP IT! This has been a great gear buy!

Best place to buy

Check the Jamis website: Jamis I actually don't know of any dealers in the area.

Disclaimer

Some of you may have noticed I did not comment or review any components. Good eyes, I only reivewed the frame because that is how I always buy my bikes. I'm very picky if you haven't figured that out yet and components are a very personal choice. I may end up adding a section for my build of each bike, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment