Wednesday, December 28, 2011

GadgetDad Reviews: Deuter Kid Comfort II


GadgetDad Reviews: Deuter Kid Comfort II


What is it & it's use

Deuter Kid Comfot II
It's primary use is as a transportation device for Logan and soon his little sister Nyah. A secondary use would be as a portable napping spot for the kids, Logan naps in it, Nyah still needs to get bigger before she can fit in it.

Highlights

  • Pros:
  • Very Stable
  • Easily Adjustable
  • Solid construction
  • Comfortable
  • Buiilt in kickstand
  • Hydration bladder pocket
  • Way better than previous carrier
  • Cons:
  • Bulky, but to be expected
  • Logan is getting really heavy, hehe
  • Logan can kick me while hiking
  • Rain/Sun hood not included ($34)
  • Bottom Line:
  • KEEP IT!

Why do you need it?

I'm sure your all tired about hearing how great Colorado is, but we have tons of great hikes as well as biking, camping and 4wheeling. I know, I sound like a record but I just love it here. This is an essential piece of gear because as the little guy is turning into a big guy I need to save my back. Now that Nyah is coming along we needed to make sure we had a long term solution for hiking as well. The Kid Comfort II from Deuter gives you the adjustablilty and fit of an internal frame pack while giving your kid a nice view of nature.

Basic Overview

Since I already did a comprehensive review of the Kelty this pack replaced I won't bore you with the same general overview. I will however mention that this pack is better in everyway except one, storage. The Deuter is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn and when it comes time to retire my North Face Backpacking pack, my first look will be at a Deuter. I'm not sure what it is about the waist/hip belt, but they did thier research, it just fits.

Pros & Cons

    Pros:
  • More stable and more comfortable than the Kelty it replaced
  • Very adjustable both for the carrier and the carried
  • Good materials and design so far
  • It grows with your kid, from just under the recommended weight range on up to about 40 lbs
  • Logan seems to be able to nap in it without much trouble, although naps are few and far between these days
  • Enough storage space for the essentials
  • Hydration bladder pocket, big enough for a 80 oz for dad and a 35 oz for Logan
    Cons:
  • Storage is a little on the tight side
  • Logan is not a light kid, not really a fault of the pack
  • Logan can kick my arms while we hike, he thinks it's hilarious
  • The Rain/sun hood is not included and costs about $34

Suggested Modifications

We moved the great little conical mirror on a retractable spool hooked up to a carabiner from the old pack to this one. This is great for when I'm hiking alone with him, I can see what he is doing and if he's sleeping. I would buy the rain/sun hood, not cheap ($34) but so worth it when you need it.

Price

MSRP is about $229 and that is about what we paid.

Keep it or Replace it

KEEP IT! This is a far better peice of gear than what it replaced.

Best place to buy

I shop at REI and I have been a member for many years. One nice thing about doing business with them is that you do get a rebate based on what you spend with them. The customer service is consistent and their return policy is unmatched. The excellent return policy is also what allowed me to get this pack for almost a direct exchange.

It also comes in handy when you need to mow the lawn and Logan wants attention, he loved the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment