Wednesday, December 28, 2011

GadgetDad Reviews: Kelty FC-3 (Now Retired)


GadgetDad Reviews: Kelty FC-3



What is it & it's use

Kelty FC-3 kid carrying backpack
It's primary use is as a transportation device for Logan. A secondary use would be as a portable napping spot for the little guy, although he's still getting used to it.

Highlights

  • Pros:
  • Very Stable
  • Adjustable
  • Sun/rain hood included but detachable
  • Solid construction
  • Comfortable
  • Automatic kickstand
  • Lots of storage
  • Cons:
  • Self adjusts (see update)
  • Bulky, but to be expected
  • Logan is getting heavy, hehe
  • Bottom Line:
  • REPLACED (see update)

Why do you need it?

I'm sure your all tired about hearing how great Colorado is, but we have tons of great hikes as well as biking, camping and 4wheeling. I know, I sound like a record but I just love it here. This is an essential piece of gear because as the little guy is turning into a big guy I need to save my back. The FC-3 from Kelty gives you the adjustablilty and fit of an internal frame pack while giving your kid a nice view of nature.

Basic Overview

This pack has carried Logan all over Colorado and down many Downhill race courses. Don't worry we were hiking next to the trail to get pictures, not riding the trail. Early on we were not able to use this pack the way we wanted to, mainly because Logan was too small. During that time we used the Ergo carrier instead. Now that Logan is taller and a little heavier this pack is perfect for getting out on day hikes. The back pack is stable and comfortable, well at least for me, Logan can't yet tell us if he likes it or not. He likes the fact that he can reach forward and take off my hat, always good for making him laugh. I have a feeling that when he gets a little bigger and taller he will be able to kick my butt, literally. Even though his harness and seat are adjustable I can see him getting great joy from kicking me. I'll keep this review updated if that does become an issue. For now we like the pack just fine except for one minor issue. On occasion the packs shoulder harness carrier slips down and self adjusts. This is really not fun or comfortable for me when this happens. I can usually deal with it, but in a worst case scenario I have to take the pack off and readjust it. Not fun. Other than that I am very happy. As you can see by the picture, Philly can use it easily as well, since it is so adjustable we can swap partway through the hike if either one of us gets tired. I almost forgot to mention the amount of storage this pack has. There is plenty of room to carry extra jackets, food, water, and toys.

Pros & Cons

    Pros:
  • Stable and Comfortable
  • Very adjustable both for the carrier and the carried
  • Good materials and design so far
  • It grows with your kid, from just under the recommended weight range on up to about 40 lbs
  • Logan seems to be able to nap in it without much trouble
  • It comes with a removable sun and rain hood which we almost aways use
  • The face/head rest is removable and machine washable, really handy for drool and spitup (hey I'm a dad and I'm realistic)
  • Lots of storage space and pockets
    Cons:
  • The self adjusting issue
  • Logan is not a light kid
  • I'm a little concerned about being kicked when Logan is slightly older/bigger

Suggested Modifications

We bought this great little conical mirror on a retractable spool hooked up to a carabiner. This is great for when I'm hiking alone with him, I can see what he is doing and if he's sleeping.

Price

MSRP is about $249 and that is about what we paid.

Keep it or Replace it

REPLACED See update below. (previously a Keep It item)

Best place to buy

I shop at REI and I have been a member for many years. One nice thing about doing business with them is that you do get a rebate based on what you spend with them. The customer service is consistent and their return policy is unmatched.

Update 8/9/2010

This past weekend we went on a longer, steeper hike with an older and heavier Logan. The pack is still stable and comfortable for the most part. Logan has been able to nap in the pack for long periods of time. He even tried to climb back in the pack on his own for the trip down the mountain. Unfortunately, it's not all roses. The self adjusting shoulder harness issue is worse than ever. On at least 4 occasions on this last hike alone the pack self adjusted. After looking further into the design of the pack, there is no way to fix this issue myself. I had thought if I had access to the pin and spring I could replace it with a bolt and at least fix it in place. It is unfortunate but this is a major design flaw.
As a result of this recurring issue, I have to change my rating slightly. I have decided to add another category to my Keep it or Toss it system....... deal with it while searching for something better. That may sound severe but needing to take off the pack mid-hike multiple times to fix the issue is not cool. Especially when Logan is asleep. Well that's it for now; I'll keep this review updated with any further developments.

Update 11/15/2010

Well the Kelty was officially returned to REI today and a Deuter Kid Comfort II Child Carrier was purchased as a replacement.

Update 11/3/2011

Sorry for the massive delay in the updates, but I'm back now (We now have two kids!). The review for the Deuter Kid Comfort II Child Carrier is now up for your reading pleasure.


Still stable enough to cross creeks and get us above tree line.

Logan at 16 months hiking up Butler Gulch, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment