Wednesday, December 21, 2011

GadgetDad Reviews: Ergo Organic


GadgetDad Reviews: Ergo Organic


What is it & it's use

Ergo baby carrier
It's a child carrier..... but so much more!

Highlights

  • Pros:
  • Comfortable
  • Adjustable
  • Adjustable sleep hood
  • Durable
  • I could not have made it through Logans first year without it
  • Cons:
  • No outward facing option
  • Bottom Line:
  • KEEP IT!

Why do you need it?

It depends on the person. We used a baby bjorn for a little bit until we found this. Our son Logan has never been a good sleeper. On top of that he went through this phase of not wanting to be put down. The hardest part was when he didn't sleep unless he was right next to your body. This nicely made bunch of organic fabric helped preserve my sanity during those times. So if you need your kid to take a nap and nothing else works this carrier will save you, trust me on this.

Update 1/4/2012
Okay, so apparently I missed the memo that if you have more than one kid they can be incredibly different.  Our son Logan loved this thing more than just about anything and it helped me stay sane.  Our daughter on the other hand wants absolutely nothing to do with the ergo.  I can't even begin to tell you how sad this makes me.  She is okay with being in the baby bjorn facing forward, but she will not sleep in either carrier.  Oh well, I guess you can't win every time.

Basic Overview

As I mentioned above this pack is worth it's weight in gold. In addition to being the single best way to get Logan to sleep, it's actually very comfortable. We have used this for everything from grocery shopping to snowshoeing and hiking. This carrier works great when you need to provide extra body warmth to keep your kid warm on cold hikes or snowshoeing trips.

Update 1/4/2012
Now that Logan is way bigger we can't use this for him any more. Unfortunately our daughter Nyah is such a little wiggle worm and so interested in what is going on that she refuses to be in the ergo.  If your kid likes to be close and held like Logan did this is still the best option.

Pros & Cons

    Pros:
  • Comfortable
  • Very adjustable
  • Good materials, the extra money is worth is for the organic fabric
  • It allowed Logan to get some sleep!
  • The built in sleep hood is a life saver
  • Multiple carrying positions: front, back, side
  • Machine wash and dry, this is a big plus
    Cons:
  • with my son, none  
  • with my daughter, she can't face outward
  • As of 1/4/2012 my daughter still hates this thing  : (

Suggested Modifications

Not a modification, but buy the Sucking pads, trust me these things are great for when your kid is teething.

Price

MSRP is about $120 and an extra $20 for the sucking pads.

Keep it or Toss it

KEEP IT! I think I can honestly say that without this wonderous product I would have gone insane with my son!

Best place to buy

Becoming Mothers in Boulder, they have a very knowledgable staff and helped my wife considerably with any of her questions. I actually bought the Ergo there and my diaper bag as well. I'm proud to be a stay at home dad and unfortunatley there are no stores called becoming fathers. Who knows maybe that will be my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment